Saturday, June 11, 2011

Getting Excited about this Next Chapter

I am just two weeks away from departure and so excited about how this next chapter is evolving. I will serve as a Fulbright-Nehru Senior Scholar in India. This is a program through the United States - India Education Foundation (www.usief.org.in) and jointly funded by the U.S. Department of State and the Central Government of India.

This is a dream come true for me. When I was traveling around the world 20 years ago, I met a Fulbrighter in Sri Lanka who was researching various mediation techniques and teachers. I remember saying, "Some day, I am going to do a Fulbright. Don't know when, where, how or what. But I am going to do that." Well, the timing was never right or the project never clear or the application process too daunting. But finally, with lots of support from family and advisors, here I am launching into a Fulbright.

My program of research and teaching includes three main streams: (1) researching the community foundation movement in India in partnership with my primary host institution Sampradaan Indian Centre for Philanthropy (www.sampradaan.org); (2) teaching a course on Social Entrepreneurship to MBA students at Jaypee Business School (www.jbs.ac.in/jbs) in New Delhi; and (3) doing a case study of a water conflict in the state of Gujarat in which poor rural farmers are protesting against a cement plant that will divert water traditionally used for agriculture and use it for industrial purposes.

I am getting so excited! Stay tuned in the weeks and months ahead for tales of adventure, learning, challenge and growth.

Thanks for your interest!

No comments:

Post a Comment